Preparing for Sunday: In
What does it mean to be ‘in’?
- To be part of the ‘in’ crowd
- To be ‘in’ love
- To be ‘in’volved
A small word which carriers depth of meaning. Our passage for this Sunday from John’s Gospel uses ‘in’ five times:
- …because he remains with you and is in you. (v. 17)
- In a little while… (v. 19)
- You will know that I am in my Father and that you are in me, just as I am in you. (v. 20)
The feeling I am left with after reading this passage is feeling welcomed and included by Jesus. These are words that are full of reassurance that we are not alone. The word ‘in’ is a small word, but it carries with it a promise which surpasses our understanding.
Text: John 14: 15-21
Questions for Sunday
- How does this passage make you feel?
- One of the main themes of this passage is the promise of the Holy Spirit, what are other themes found in the passage?
Gracious God, you sent your son the Living Word to dwell with us. In his life we find the promise that you will never leave us. You walk with us on the days when the sun shines bright and you are with us when we walk through the dark valley. Thank you for the promise we have in Jesus Christ. Amen.